Hagel Tipped for US Defense Secretary - CNN
US President Barack Obama plans to announce former Sen. Chuck Hagel as his nominee to become the next defense secretary on Monday, administration officials told CNN on Sunday.
Two sources close to Hagel have also been told to expect the defense secretary announcement on Monday, and additional sources - a senior administration official and a source familiar with the nomination - said Obama spoke to Hagel Sunday by telephone.
The White House was calling senators' offices Sunday to inform them Hagel's nomination is imminent and to help build support for it, a source familiar with the nomination said. CNN reported Friday that the White House had told some senior members of Congress to expect the tapping of Hagel, and another source with knowledge of the nomination called it "locked down."
One senior administration official on Sunday said Obama also planned to unveil his nominee for permanent CIA director at the same time as the Hagel announcement, though late in the day other officials sent mixed signals about a potential CIA announcement coming on Monday.
At the CIA, the short list to replace retired Gen. David Petraeus includes Counterterrorism and Homeland Security Adviser John Brennan and acting CIA Director Michael Morell, according to a source.
Petraeus stepped down from his post in November amid revelations he had engaged in an extramarital affair with his biographer.
- » Rising Tension Between US, North Korea over Controversial Movie, Cyber Attack
- » Tunisians Elect Their First Post-Arab Spring President
- » Klaus Iohannis: Romania Should Stun World with Transformation
- » Russian Humanitarian Aid Convoy Enters Ukraine's Donbass
- » EP Approves Association With Georgia, Calls Russia to Withdraw
- » European Council Approves Juncker's EUR 315 B Investment Plan