Bulgaria to Build Monument of Russian Liberation War General Gurko
A monument to renowned Russian general Joseph Gurko will be unveiled in the Bulgarian capital Sofia, Lyubomir Kolarov, head of the Bulgarian Heroes Fund, has announced.
Joseph Gurko (1828-1901) was a Russian Field Marshal prominent during the Russo-Turkish War (1877–1878), known in Bulgaria as the Liberation War because as a result of it, the Russian Empire forced the Ottoman Turkish Empire to create a free Bulgarian state after more than 400 years of Ottoman yoke.
Gurko's monument in Sofia will unveiled on March 2, a day before March 3 – Bulgaria's Liberation Day, which is the day of the San Stefano Peace Treaty in 1878.
Lyubomir Kolarov expressed hope that the monument will add to expanding friendly ties between Russia and Bulgaria, as cited by The Voice of Russia.
- » Three Dead, One in Serious Condition After Car Accidents in Last 24 hours
- » Sunny Weather Today, Maximum Temperatures 31°-36°
- » Two dead, 18 injured in car accidents in last 24 hours
- » Today is the Official Start of Astronomical Summer
- » NIMH: Yellow Code for Strong Wind in 8 Regions
- » SpaceX delays Bulgaria Satellite Again, Plans 'Doubleheader'
How much is the price for Bulgarian taxpayers? Hundreds of thouzands
(in Euro)? How much was the price for Russians (and Bulgarians, btw)?
Hundreds of thouzands as well (in Human lives). Small, but significant
difference. Actually that Monument is Monument to Bulgarian Freedom
....and to Memory. People without Memory is people without Future.
Thanks to those Bulgarians who clearly realize it.