Winter-Only Weddings - Bulgarian Muslims Say 'I do'
The people of this Bulgarian town of Ribnovo are famous for performing their unique wedding ceremonies in winter time only.
The inhabitants of the mountain village of Ribnovo are Bulgarian-speaking Muslims, sometimes referred to as "Pomaks" or "people who have suffered". Muslim Bulgarians are descendants of Christian Bulgarians who were forcibly converted to Islam by the Turks, during the 14th, 16th and the 18th century.
- » Forbes: Georgieva Risks Wrecking 'Regional Chances' for UN Top Job
- » Bulgaria Seeks 'Fine Balance' amid Russia-Turkey Tensions - AFP
- » Der Spiegel: Bulgaria's Peevski, Iceberg of Corruption
- » The Economist: UN Secretary-General Nomination Stirs Political Tensions in Bulgaria
- » HRW Accuses Bulgaria of 'Pushbacks, Abuse at Borders'
- » 'Putin with Dog Makes Bulgaria's PM Happy' - Euronews