Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez 'Conscious'
Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez is conscious but in a "delicate and complex situation" after a cancer operation in Cuba, his deputy says.
Vice-President Nicolas Maduro said he had seen the president twice in the past two days.
"We have faith in God and in the doctors that Hugo Chavez will continue to make progress and sooner or later will emerge from this complex and delicate post-operative state he is in," he told the Latin American satellite network Telesur.
The 58-year-old president has been in power since 1999 and was elected for a fourth term in office in October.
He is due to be sworn in for a new term on 10 January, but it is unclear if he will be able to attend ceremony.
But Maduro angrily denounced speculation the president's health was failing.
Official New Year celebrations were called off after Maduro announced the president had suffered new complications.
- » Inspectors From OPCW have Samples From Douma
- » Kosovo Ready for Council of Europe Membership Bid
- » Pyongyang Pledges to Halt Nuclear and Longer-range Missile Tests
- » 'Russian Elon Musk' Raped and Tortured to Death in Custody
- » Bashar Assad Returns Legion d’honneur to France
- » North and South Korea Open Hotline Between Leaders