Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez 'Conscious'
Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez is conscious but in a "delicate and complex situation" after a cancer operation in Cuba, his deputy says.
Vice-President Nicolas Maduro said he had seen the president twice in the past two days.
"We have faith in God and in the doctors that Hugo Chavez will continue to make progress and sooner or later will emerge from this complex and delicate post-operative state he is in," he told the Latin American satellite network Telesur.
The 58-year-old president has been in power since 1999 and was elected for a fourth term in office in October.
He is due to be sworn in for a new term on 10 January, but it is unclear if he will be able to attend ceremony.
But Maduro angrily denounced speculation the president's health was failing.
Official New Year celebrations were called off after Maduro announced the president had suffered new complications.
- » Ukrainian President Likely to Dissolve Parliament Next Week
- » US Admits Secret Mission Failed to Free James Foley
- » Turkey's Ruling Party to Name New PM
- » Ukraine Ready to Compromise on Russian Gas Price
- » Ukrainian Flag Raised Over Iconic Moscow Skyscraper
- » IS Purportedly Beheads US Reporter James Foley