UN Envoy: Syria Getting Worse, Solution Still Possible
UN and Arab League envoy for Syria Lakhdar Brahimi has stated that the situation in the country deteriorating, but a peaceful solution is still possible.
Speaking in Sunday in front of the Arab League, Brahimi said Sunday he believes his plan, based on an agreement signed in Geneva earlier this year, "could be adopted by the international community."
The envoy added that he hopes the solution could be adopted before the second anniversary of the Syria in March 2013.
However, Brahimi assessed the current situation in Syria as "getting worse by the day."
Saturday, Brahimi met in Moscow Russian Foreign Affairs Minister Sergey Lavrov, with the two making clear that Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad has no intentions to step down from power.
- » Slovakia Starts Shipping Gas to Ukraine via Vojany-Uzhgorod Pipeline
- » Russia 'Not EU's Strategic Partner Anymore' - Mogherini
- » Turkey Summons US Charge d'Affaires over Spying Report
- » Ukraine Soldiers, Rebels Clash at Luhansk Airport
- » Five Killed in Plane Crash in US Colorado
- » EU Leaders Give Russia 7 Days to Reverse Course in Ukraine or Face New Sanctions