21 Bulgarian Cities on Alert over High Dust Levels
High dust levels were registered in a total of 21 Bulgarian cities on Thursday, authorities say.
Readings of harmful particle levels showed that fine dust levels were above the norm in Sofia, Plovdiv, Pernik, Burgas, Varna, Plaven, Ruse, Blagoevgrad, Nesebar, Devnya, Dobrich, Gorna Oryahovitsa, Vratsa, Vidin, Lovech, Smolyan, Stara Zagora, Sliven, Dimitrovgrad, Kardzhali and Shumen.
EU's standard threshold value for fine dust is 50 microgram per cubic metre in a 24-hour period.
The highest value measured in Bulgaria on Thursday was at Sofia's busy Eagles' Bridge intersection - 8.37 times above that norm.
An expert has told dnevnik.bg that people's health is not in danger, unless they are constantly exposed to high dust levels.
Long exposure to high levels of fine dust can lead to irritations of the respiratory tract, coughs and headache.
- » Mostly Sunny Today, Maximum Temperatures Between 20°C and 25°C
- » Until 17:00h on April 27, Transit Through the Vitinya Tunnel on Hemus Motorway Is Stopped
- » Antarctica: Preparation For 26th Bulgarian Antarctic Expedition Started
- » Code Yellow Over Strong Wind in 12 Regions In Bulgaria
- » The Temperatures Go Up
- » Today We Celebrate The World Earth Day