21 Bulgarian Cities on Alert over High Dust Levels
High dust levels were registered in a total of 21 Bulgarian cities on Thursday, authorities say.
Readings of harmful particle levels showed that fine dust levels were above the norm in Sofia, Plovdiv, Pernik, Burgas, Varna, Plaven, Ruse, Blagoevgrad, Nesebar, Devnya, Dobrich, Gorna Oryahovitsa, Vratsa, Vidin, Lovech, Smolyan, Stara Zagora, Sliven, Dimitrovgrad, Kardzhali and Shumen.
EU's standard threshold value for fine dust is 50 microgram per cubic metre in a 24-hour period.
The highest value measured in Bulgaria on Thursday was at Sofia's busy Eagles' Bridge intersection - 8.37 times above that norm.
An expert has told dnevnik.bg that people's health is not in danger, unless they are constantly exposed to high dust levels.
Long exposure to high levels of fine dust can lead to irritations of the respiratory tract, coughs and headache.
- » Clouds With Rain Today, Maximum Temperatures of 4-9°C
- » An Earthquake Shook Britain
- » A Powerful Earthquake in Mexico (Video)
- » Day Temperatures will Slightly Rise and Maximum Ones will Reach 6-11°C
- » Scientists have Discovered a Supervolcano
- » Clouds to Again Increase, Maximum Temperatures From 4°C to 9°C