Chavez Delegated Financial Duties to VP
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has entrusted all economic responsibilities to his vice-president while he recovers from his latest cancer surgery, it has emerged.
According to the Official Gazette, a government law journal, published online on Wednesday, Chavez delegated the powers to vice-president Nicolas Maduro just days before travelling to Cuba for his December 11 operation.
The transfer of power has raised further doubts regarding the Venezuelan President's health.
Venezuelan opposition politicians have demanded the authorities to allow an expert evaluation of whether President Hugo Chavez is fit for presidential duties, RIA Novosti has informed.
Chavez, 58, who has ruled Venezuela for 13 years, underwent three operations for cancer and four courses of chemotherapy in Cuba and Venezuela within a year. He agreed to the fourth surgery after recent tests had revealed malignant cells.
Chavez is scheduled to be inaugurated to a new six-year presidential term on January 10, 2013.
- » Ukraine PM: Attack on Lenin Equals Taliban's Destruction of Buddhas
- » Attack on Lenin Statue Heightens Tensions in Kiev
- » Protesters in Kiev Topple Lenin Monument
- » Ukraine's Security Service to Investigate Attempts at Coup'd Etat
- » Protesters in Kiev Build Barricade in front of Govt HQ
- » Czech PM 'Dreads' Attending Mandela's Funeral