Chavez Delegated Financial Duties to VP
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has entrusted all economic responsibilities to his vice-president while he recovers from his latest cancer surgery, it has emerged.
According to the Official Gazette, a government law journal, published online on Wednesday, Chavez delegated the powers to vice-president Nicolas Maduro just days before travelling to Cuba for his December 11 operation.
The transfer of power has raised further doubts regarding the Venezuelan President's health.
Venezuelan opposition politicians have demanded the authorities to allow an expert evaluation of whether President Hugo Chavez is fit for presidential duties, RIA Novosti has informed.
Chavez, 58, who has ruled Venezuela for 13 years, underwent three operations for cancer and four courses of chemotherapy in Cuba and Venezuela within a year. He agreed to the fourth surgery after recent tests had revealed malignant cells.
Chavez is scheduled to be inaugurated to a new six-year presidential term on January 10, 2013.
- » German Tourists Bring Hitler Mugs From Bulgaria, Face Court
- » MH17 'Black Box' Data Intact, Not Tampered With
- » Air Algerie Plane Wreck Found In Mali
- » Dutch Call for Deportation of Putin's Daughter From the Netherlands
- » Missing Air Algerie Passenger Plane with 116 on Board Crashes in Niger
- » Algerian Plane with 110 Passengers On Board Goes Missing