Police Say Bizarre Sofia Subway Accident Was Robbery Attempt
The accident in which a 48-year-old woman was almost killed in Bulgarian capital Sofia's subway was a robbery attempt, local police have revealed.
Police are almost certain that the woman and the 32-year-old man who pushed the woman in front of a train did not know each other.
The perpetrator was carrying a knife during the attack, bTV has reported. The man allegedly tried to pull the woman's bag.
The police have seized footage from the CCTV cameras and have interrogated witnesses.
The engine driver spotted the woman on the tracks, and pulled the emergency brakes but the train nonetheless hit her.
The woman was hospitalized in a critical condition. She was later reported as out of danger.
- » BGN 8M Drained by Credit Card Skimmers in 2013
- » Court Halts 'Lost Files' Trial Against Bulgarian ex-Socialist Leader
- » US to Extradite to Bulgaria Convicted Human Smuggler
- » Four Bulgarians Busted in Greece for Fake Money Distribution
- » 44-Year-Old Bulgarian Faces 10 Years in Jail in Austria for Drug Trafficking
- » Police Bust 2 Meth Labs, Cannabis Greenhouse in Sofia