Police Say Bizarre Sofia Subway Accident Was Robbery Attempt
The accident in which a 48-year-old woman was almost killed in Bulgarian capital Sofia's subway was a robbery attempt, local police have revealed.
Police are almost certain that the woman and the 32-year-old man who pushed the woman in front of a train did not know each other.
The perpetrator was carrying a knife during the attack, bTV has reported. The man allegedly tried to pull the woman's bag.
The police have seized footage from the CCTV cameras and have interrogated witnesses.
The engine driver spotted the woman on the tracks, and pulled the emergency brakes but the train nonetheless hit her.
The woman was hospitalized in a critical condition. She was later reported as out of danger.
- » Bulgaria Charges Four Afghans with Attempted Smuggling of 29 Syrian Migrants from Turkey
- » Bulgarian Police Detain 13 Irregular Migrants on Trakia Motorway
- » Former Road Infrastructure Agency Chief found innocent in scandalous court case
- » Bulgaria to Turn over Mourad Hamyd to France
- » Serbia Finds Seven Irregular Migrants in Bulgarian-registered Truck
- » Bulgarian Border Police Chiefs Resign over Suspected Wrondoing in Public Tender