Bulgarians in Ukraine Dub Stanishev 'Person of the Year'
The Association of Bulgarians in Ukraine chose PES and Bulgarian Socialist Party Sergey Stanishev for their person of the year for 2012.
Stanishev has awarded for his "big contribution to boosting economic and cultural ties between Ukraine and Bulgaria, as well as for his personal commitment for the cultural and eductional process of Bulgarians in Bessarabia."
"I take this as a recognition not only for me personally, but also for all those who for years on worked for the preservation of the identity of Bessarabian Bulgarians," commented the socialist leader.
The Association of Bulgarians in Ukraine awards the Person of the Year award since 2002, for considerable contributions to bilateral relations, especially in the field of culture and social activities.
Since the Ottoman Rule of Bulgaria, there has traditionally been a sizeable Bulgarian diaspora in the Ukraine.
Now Bulgarians in the country are estimated to be over 200,000, mostly concentrated in the southern city of Odessa and province of Bessarabia.
Sergey Stanishev himself was born in Ukrainian city of Kherson in 1966.
- » Bulgaria Commemorates 137 Years of Ottoman Empire Liberation
- » Bulgaria’s Tarnovo Constitution Exhibited for 1st Time at President’s Office in Sofia
- » Red Hot Chilli Pipers to Bring Scottish Rhythm to Bulgaria in Unconventional Performance
- » Judas Priest To Hit Sofia in June
- » The Symphonic Orchestra of the Bulgarian National Radio to Play at The Godfather Screening
- » Lamb Concert in Sofia Shifts to Larger Venue
Well,,its good the Ukrainians gave this leader of the communists special recognition, as they people of Bulgaria would not do the same. Communism is dead in the water, life moves on, these relics of the past must be sent off to pasture. :) GERB is not the best solution either, but it is time for the BSP (Communist party) to disband and let Bulgaria progress forward. GERB's biggest stregth in politics, is that we must vote for them if only to keep Stanishev and friends far from power. Merry Xmas!