Sofia to Start Building Subway to Business Park in 2013
The construction of the subway section connecting the Mladost-1 residential district to Business Park Sofia will be launched in early 2013, according to Yordanka Fandakova, Mayor of the Bulgarian capital.
Fandakova told reporters on Saturday that this section, as well as the one connecting Tsarigradsko Shose Blvd to Sofia Airport, will be functional in 2015.
Last week, the European Commission approved the funding of Stage III of the project for the expansion of the Sofia subway network, which includes the two sections in question.
The expansion of the subway network in Bulgaria's capital is funded under Operational Program Transport via the European Regional Development Fund.
The total cost of the project amounts to nearly EUR 240 M, of which BGN 136 M are granted under OP Transport, with state-owned company Metropoliten EAD, the operator of the Sofia subway, as the beneficiary.
The project is to create seven subway stations and over 300 jobs.
The construction of the subway section from Tsarigradsko Shose Blvd to Sofia Airport started in end-November.
- » Bulgaria Expects Budget Surplus to Exceed BGN 2.3 B at End of April
- » Network of Electric Bicycles to Connect Bulgaria, Romania
- » Competition for New Tourist Logo of Bulgaria Fails to Select Winner
- » Bulgaria's Competition Watchdog Fines Two Regional TV, Internet Providers
- » Gazprom Puts Forward New South Stream Route
- » Bulgaria's NEK Repays EUR 309 M Debt to Local Unit of U.S.-based AES Corp