KEYWORDS TODAY:   SOUTH STREAMVASIL SHTONOVKTBIRAQ

Bulgarian Chief Prosecutor Hopeful Vows to Tackle Corruption Cases

Politics » DOMESTIC | December 20, 2012, Thursday // 13:15| Views: 473 | Comments: 0
  • Send to Kindle
Bulgaria: Bulgarian Chief Prosecutor Hopeful Vows to Tackle Corruption Cases Borislav Sarafov, head of the Specialized Appellate Prosecutor's Office and Chief Prosecutor candidate. Photo by BGNES

The Bulgarian prosecutors have achieved a great progress in dealing with organized crime over the past few years, Chief Prosecutor candidate Borislav Sarafov stated on Thursday.

However, prosecutors have failed to deal with key corruption cases, he noted.

Sarafov declared that corruption cases should be thoroughly analyzed so that repeating the same mistakes can be avoided.

The Chief Prosecutor candidate pointed out that some 96% of all trials end in guilty verdicts. However, he also reminded that the remaining 4% contain the most important cases.

Bulgaria's highest juridical body is voting on Thursday to appoint a new chief prosecutor with a selection process that has been denounced by civic groups.

The Supreme Judicial Council will conduct the vote with an electronic system, which raised serious concerns that it won't be anonymous as votes by each Council member can be tracked.

Three candidates run for the top office - Sotir Tsatsarov, head of the Plovdiv District Court, Galina Toneva, Deputy Chief Prosecutor, and Borislav Sarafov, head of the Specialized Appellate Prosecutor's Office.

Domestic » Be a reporter: Write and send your article
Tags: Supreme Judicial Council, VSS, Chief Prosecutor, Sotir Tsatsarov, Galina Toneva, Borislav Sarafov, GERB, corruption, organized crime
Expats.bg All Are Welcome! Join Now!

Leave a comment


Bulgaria news Novinite.com (Sofia News Agency - www.sofianewsagency.com) is unique with being a real time news provider in English that informs its readers about the latest Bulgarian news. The editorial staff also publishes a daily online newspaper "Sofia Morning News." Novinite.com (Sofia News Agency - www.sofianewsagency.com) and Sofia Morning News publish the latest economic, political and cultural news that take place in Bulgaria. Foreign media analysis on Bulgaria and World News in Brief are also part of the web site and the online newspaper. News Bulgaria