Icy Conditions Impede Traffic, Cause Injuries in Bulgaria
Icy streets and sidewalks in a number of Bulgarian cities and towns have sent Sunday hundreds of people to hospitals.
90 people have been examined over the course of the day in the Emergency "Pirogov" Hospital in the capital Sofia. 22 of them have been admitted for emergency surgeries on broken arms, ankles and shoulder blades.
Over 100 people have been examined in the ER in the Danube city of Vidin, 56 in the northern city of Pleven, and 13 people with broken arms and legs were admitted in the hospital of the Danube city of Ruse.
The warmer temperatures in the aftermath of the polar cold during the past week and the overnight rain, mixed with ice and sleet, have caused treacherous conditions on many roads and are impeding traffic and even public transportation, particularly in the regions of Veliko Tarnovo, Pleven, Blagoevgrad, Lovech and Vratsa.
In the capital Sofia, the streets and boulevards used by public transportation and its stops have been treated since Saturday night with 80 special machines.
Steep roads remain problematic, particularly in the Vitosha and Lyulin districts as well as neighborhood streets, which remain untreated for the time being.
The icy conditions will continue Monday, the national weather service warns.
- » Today it Will be Mostly Sunny with Maximum Temperatures 20°-25°
- » Code Yellow Warning Issued Over Heavy Rain in 18 Bulgarian Districts
- » Yellow Code For Intensive Rains and Thunders For 7 Regions
- » Yellow Code Announced for 7 Districts in Bulgaria Over Intense Rain
- » Many Clouds, Short Rains in Many Places in the Afternoon, with Thunders
- » Intensive Rains in Some Areas, Hailstorms Possible