Bulgaria Seeks to Deepen Energy Ties with Azerbaijan
Bulgaria has a strong interest in developing bilateral relations with Azerbaijan in the energy sector, Bulgarian Foreign Minister Nikolay Mladenov has declared.
Mladenov has noted that his country supports the Southern Gas Corridor, as it believes it would contribute to energy security and competition in Europe.
"Bulgaria is our traditional and close partner. It is an important country as well because of its position as a gateway to the EU," the Azerbaijani Foreign Minister said. Mammadyarov confirmed Azerbaijan's desire to expand its partnership with the EU, which includes strengthening political and economic ties.
A tour of the South Caucasus by the foreign ministers of Bulgaria and Sweden and a Polish delegation began in Azerbaijan on Wednesday. In Baku, Mladenov, Carl Bildt and Jacek Mihailovsky held talks with President Ilham Aliyev and Mammadyarov.
"The purpose of our visit is to outline areas of co-operation in which the EU and Azerbaijan can make further efforts," the Bulgarian Foreign Minister said.
The three European delegations also discussed with their Azerbaijani hosts the attempts to resolve the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and the situation in the region.
Later on Wednesday, the three diplomats departed for Georgia.
- » Bulgarian FM Has No Information on Turkey Banning Entry of DPS Founder, MP
- » DPS's Dogan, Peevski 'Barred from Entering Turkey'
- » Bulgaria to Use 'All Its Resources' to Support Bokova's UN Candidacy
- » Bulgaria Nominates UNESCO's Bokova as UN Top Job Candidate
- » Bulgaria to Give EUR 0.4 M in Support of Syria in 2016
- » Sofia to Host Council of Europe Event on Tuesday