Bulgaria's Ruling Party Dumps Controversial Constitution Court Hopeful
Center-right ruling party GERB has declared it will not back the controversial nomination of Galya Gugusheva for Constitutional Court member.
GERB's opposition to Gugusheva's bid was announced late on Monday by Interior Minister Tsvetan Tsvetanov following prolonged debates between senior members of the center-right ruling party and the right-wing party Union of Democratic Forces (UDF).
The meeting of GERB and UDF lasted over two hours.
Tsvetanov informed that UDF would be given a second chance to come up with a new nomination for a Constitutional Judge.
Bulgaria's Interior Minister told dnevnik.bg that Prime Minister Boyko Borisov had been notified about the decision.
Krasimir Velchev, Chair of the Parliamentary Group of GERB, explained late on Monday that the new procedure for nominating a Constitutional Judge from the parliamentary quota would start after the New Year holidays.
Galya Gugusheva is Deputy Chair of the Specialized Appellate Prosecutor's Office.
Gugusheva was nominated by UDF after the initial candidate of the right-wing party, former President Petar Stoyanov, refused to run for office.
Stoyanov was nominated after the scandal with Veneta Markovska, former Deputy Chair of the Supreme Administrative Court, who had been nominated by independent MPs but had her bid sabotaged over allegations of conflict of interest and corruption.
Markovska failed to swear in as member of the Constitutional Court after President Rosen Plevneliev walked out during the ceremony just as she was about to take the oath of office.
The scandal was resolved after the Supreme Judicial Council (VSS) allowed Markovska to retire as VAS Deputy Chair and as a judge.
- » School Directors in Bulgaria are Seeking for 3000 Teachers
- » Bulgarian Border Police Hands Foreign Drivers Brochures on Road Traffic Rules
- » Bulgarian PM: 'We Reported Tsankov Kamak to the Prosecutor's Office Because That Installation for BGN1b is Not Working'
- » CEM Held the Hearing of Six Candidates for Director of the Bulgarian National Television
- » 500 People Working in the Summer Resort Sunny Beach are Protesting
- » With BGN 500 000, the Oldest Building of the Troyan Monastery will be Renovated