Bulgaria's Conflict of Interest Commission Probes 3 Acting Ministers
Bulgaria's Commission for Prevention and Ascertainment of Conflict of Interest has received tip-offs and launched investigations against three acting ministers and one former minister.
According to reports of mass-circulation Standard daily, the tip-offs are against Nona Karadzhova, Minister of Environment and Water, Sergey Ignatov, Minister of Education, Youth and Science, Vezhdi Rashidov, Minister of Culture, and Traycho Traykov, former Minister of Economy, Energy and Tourism.
The tip-offs were received by the Inspectorate at the Council of Ministers and were transferred to the Commission, as required by law.
According to sources cited by Standard daily, the signal against Environment Minister Nona Karadzhova is the most recent.
Environmental organizations claim that Karadzhova's former employer now wins projects in the sector of waste management and disposal.
Sergey Ignatov is to be inspected over his participation in managing boards.
Traycho Traykov is investigated for profiting from private companies during his term in office as Energy Minister.
Vezhdi Rashidov faces accusations in connection with public procurement irregularities.
The results of the inspections are to become clear by end-2012.
The Commission is currently working on 400 other signals against Bulgarian MPs and high-ranking officials.
The Inspectorate at the Council of Ministers is expected to take over the responsibility for coordinating the fight against corruption from mid-2013, according to the publication
According to Emil Radev, MP of center-right party GERB, the coordinating authority is appointed in line with the recommendations of the European Commission.
Radev chairs the newly established inter-institutional working group which is to name the new governing body in charge of the fight against corruption.
The decision is to be made by May 2013.
- » Sofia Municipality Started Operation For Demolition Of Illegal Roma Homes in Sofia’s Neighbourhood ‘Zaharna Fabrika’
- » No Bulgarians Reported Injured in Italy Earthquake
- » Ministry of Interior and the Directorate of “Automobile Administration”Check Vehicles for Adherence to Traffic Rules
- » Man Threatened with a Knife Emergency Care Team in Sofia
- » 149 Illegal Roma Houses are being Destroyed in Sofia's Zaharna Fabrika Quarter
- » Sofia Municipality Will Start Marking Dangerous Trees in Borisova Garden in Sofia