Google Updates Maps for 10 European Countries, Bulgaria Too
Google announced it has released updated maps for 10 countries and regions in Europe, including Bulgaria, which makes the Ground Truth initiative now available in 40 countries worldwide.
The new maps cover the following places: Andorra, Bulgaria, Estonia, Gibraltar, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Spain.
The update is part of a project called Ground Truth that began in 2008.
Through this initiative, Google acquire high-quality map data from authoritative sources around the world and then apply a mix of advanced algorithms, supplemental data (including satellite, aerial and Street View imagery), and human input to create a map that corresponds as closely as possible to the real-world facts that people would find if they were to visit that location.
For example, this update adds a new 70-km section of Bulgaria's Trakiya motorway, which opened recently to drivers but hasn't been reflected on most maps of the region until now.
In addition to new roads and highways, the update encompasses walking paths, ferry lines, building outlines, park boundaries, and university campuses, Google said in a blog post.
The new map of Spain, for example, not only shows the famous Museo del Prado and Parque del Retiro in Madrid, but also includes additional building models in surrounding neighborhoods, the well-known "Estanque" (or pond) in the center of the park, and detailed walking paths throughout both the park and the nearby Royal Botanical Gardens.
Users will also be able to help update and improve the maps by clicking on the "Report a problem" tool in the lower right corner.
The tool was launched this week in the 10 places where Google updated its maps, including Bulgaria.
- » Russian Companies Interested in Building Hydraulic Structures in Bulgaria – Ambassador Isakov
- » Bulgaria Launches EU-funded Advertising Campaign to Boost Domestic Tourism
- » Ex Energy Minister Seeks 10-Fold Increase in Minimum Fine for Power Distributors
- » Bulgaria’s Max to Offer New High Definition Voice Services
- » Bulgaria Energy Minister Triggers Inspection at Energy Distributors
- » Bulgaria 'Unable to Halt South Stream Construction' - Ex-Energy Minister