Bulgarian Right-Wingers Want FinMin, Health Insurance Head Axed
Bulgaria's right-wing Blue Coalition has demanded the resignations of Finance Minister Simeon Djankov and the director of the National Health Insurance Fund over what it perceives as failed policies.
Blue Coalition MP Vanyo Sharkov has told reporters that Djankova has turned the National Health Insurance Fund into his "personal piggy-bank."
The right-wing coalition also wants the Fund's director to resign over his "failure to defend the interests of health insured Bulgarian citizens."
Over the last two years, the Ministry of Finance has stolen some BGN 59 M from Bulgarians' health insurance money, the Blue Coalition argued on Wednesday.
Blue Coalition lawmakers have also reminded that VAT on medications in Bulgaria is the highest in the European Union, which results in very expensive medications.
- » Patients Will Need ID Cards to Be Admitted to Hospital in Bulgaria as of April
- » Parliament Committee Approves Glinka Komitov as New Head of State Health Insurance Fund
- » Bulgaria Spends Most Funds Allocated to Healthcare on Hospitals
- » 60% of Calls to 112 Emergency Phone Number in 2014 Were Unjustified
- » 58% of Settlements in Bulgaria to Access Emergency Care in 20 Minutes by 2020
- » Healthcare in Bulgaria Ranks Among Poorest in Europe