UK Tories Engage in Anti-EU, Anti-Bulgarians Fear Mongering
A number of British conservative MPs have warned that an imminent floodwave of Bulgarian and Romanian migrants will prove detrimental to the UK's society and environment.
The Daily Mail reports that Tory MP Philip Hollobone has alarmed Tuesday that once travel and working restrictions for Bulgarian and Romanian nationals are abolished December 31, the UK will have its scarce resources tapped to serve the migrants.
In particular, he has warned that the government might be forced to build new housing in Britain's undeveloped Green Belt to accomodate them.
Hollobone has objected to the cabinet's refusal to publish an estimate of the number of people expected to flock to the Kingdom once the restrictions are lifted.
"What we are going to see is swathes of our countryside built over to accommodate the millions of new arrivals from the EU, over which we have little control. Enough is enough," said the Tory MP, as reported by the Mail.
"It’s bad enough to open our borders to all and sundry, but it adds insult to injury to then not even give the British people an estimate of how many incomers we can expect," added he, speaking in Parliament.
Cabinet Immigration Minister Mark Harper defended not publishing estimates, saying making predictions was "a very difficult exercise" influenced by a range of factors, writes the Daily Mail.
Conservative MP Martin Vickers has added to Hollobone's concerns, saying that the alleged floodwave of migrants will negatively impact social cohesion in the UK.
- » EC Appoints Bulgaria’s Charlina Vitcheva Deputy Director-General at Joint Research Centre
- » Bulgaria to Assume EU Presidency 6 Months Earlier
- » EC Takes Bulgaria to Court over Insufficient Protection of Endangered Birds
- » Bulgarian Army Ready to Boost Assistance to Police in Border Protection, Def Min Says
- » EU Asks Bulgaria to Comply with Rules for Energy Consumption of Buildings
- » EC Requests Bulgaria to Ensure Level Playing Field for Groundhandling Service Providers at Sofia Airport