Socialist Leader Suggests Bulgaria's Rulers Face Revolution
An entrenched and allegedly incompetent rule by center-right GERB party might provoke revolution in Bulgaria, according to PES and Bulgarian Socialist Party leader Sergey Stanishev.
At a press event Tuesday, Stanishev argued that the rule of Bulgarian PM Boyko Borisov has led to a growing discontent among citizens, which GERB will have to face at general elections in the summer of 2013.
"We are witnessing GERB trying to rig upcoming elections by last minute amendments to the Electoral Code just before Christmas, and cover it all up by distracting public attention with the ongoing scandal with the judiciary," said the socialist leader.
"He who has lost people's trust and does not want to leave in peace, in a democratic manner, will have to go another way," added he.
This provoked GERB front-bench MP Dimitar Glavchev to accuse the socialist leader of "fundamentalism" and resorting to old-fashioned revolutionary rhetoric.
"I wonder whether the Party of European Socialists would support this statement of their leader," added Glavchev.
On his part, Stanishev went on to accuse GERB of "living in total abstraction from the problems of Bulgaria's people."
According to him, GERB are trying to mask real problems with a continuous campaign of self-congratulation and flaunting of non-existent achievements.
"In the meanwhile, unemployment in Bulgaria is on a steady rise and poverty is rampant," added Stanishev.
He issued a call for all other opposition parties to scrap their old divisions and unite against what he sees as a perilous and entrenched GERB rule.
"There are things that stand over and above ideological and political divisions - those are the foundations of Bulgarian statehood. And that is just what GERB want to destroy," argued Stanishev.
- » Deputy PM Zaharieva: 78% of Regional Development Ministry Budget Spent in H1 2014
- » Witnesses Back Defendant in Bulgaria’s 2013 Illegal Ballot Papers Case
- » Liberals' Head Lyutvi Mestan Demands International Probe into KTB Affair
- » IntMin Employees to Stage Protest over Plans for Social Benefits Cut
- » Bulgaria Budget Miscalculated 'on Purpose' - President Plevneliev
- » Bulgarian Trade Unions, Employers’ Organizations to Boycott Tripartite Cooperation Council Meeting