10 Nabbed for EUR 25 M Tax Fraud in Bulgaria
The Bulgarian police have detained a group of 10 persons suspected in having carried out massive tax fraud using an elaborate system of corporate scam.
The group, which has been tracked by investigators for months, is estimated to have defrauded the budget with some BGN 50 M since 2007.
To that end, it used various devices, including creating missing trader companies that executed ficticious transactions, declaring lower amounts on actual transactions, and transfering income to offshore companies.
During the operation, police also seized considerable material evidence, including a large amount in cash being handed down the group, a number of computers, as well as hard-copy company paperwork.
The Bulgarian National Revenue Agency has levied a BGN 5 M distraint on various assets held by the group. Further investigations are under way.
- » Four Kosovo Men Get Suspended Jail Sentences in Bulgaria for Illegally Crossing from Macedonia
- » Bulgarian Court Leaves Len Homeniuk Under House Arrest, Extradition Hearing Set for Sept 16
- » Bulgarian Authorities Detained 243 Human Traffickers in First Half of Year
- » Number of People Detained Over Truck with Dead Migrants in Austria Rises to Seven
- » Bulgarian Police Detain Man over Austria Migrant Deaths
- » Suspected Jihadists Detained at Bulgaria Border 'Linked to IS'