10 Nabbed for EUR 25 M Tax Fraud in Bulgaria
The Bulgarian police have detained a group of 10 persons suspected in having carried out massive tax fraud using an elaborate system of corporate scam.
The group, which has been tracked by investigators for months, is estimated to have defrauded the budget with some BGN 50 M since 2007.
To that end, it used various devices, including creating missing trader companies that executed ficticious transactions, declaring lower amounts on actual transactions, and transfering income to offshore companies.
During the operation, police also seized considerable material evidence, including a large amount in cash being handed down the group, a number of computers, as well as hard-copy company paperwork.
The Bulgarian National Revenue Agency has levied a BGN 5 M distraint on various assets held by the group. Further investigations are under way.
- » Bulgaria’s Transport Minister Orders Inquiry into Suspected Diesel Theft at State Railways
- » Bulgarian Authorities 'Arrested Varna-Based Criminal Gang'
- » Bulgarian, Pakistan Citizens Arrested for Helping Foreign Nationals Stay in Bulgaria Illegally
- » Bulgarian Court Rules to Extradite Paris Terror Suspect to France
- » Russian Mobster with Fake Bulgarian Passport Arrested in Vienna
- » 15 Bulgarian Border Policemen Suspected of Human Trafficking