Eurozone Jobless Rate Hits New High in Oct
The eurozone's unemployment rate hit a new record high in October, while consumer price rises slowed sharply.
The unemployment rate continued its steady rise, reaching 11.7% in October, up from 11.6% the month before and 10.4% a year ago.
Inflation fell from 2.5% to 2.2% in November.
A further 173,000 were out of work across the single currency area, bringing the total to 18.7 million.
The respective fortunes of northern and southern Europe diverged further. In Spain, the jobless rate rose to 26.2% from 25.8% the previous month, and in Italy it rose to 11.1% from 10.8%.
In contrast, unemployment in Germany held steady at 5.4% of the labour force, while in Austria it fell from 4.4% to just 4.3%.
"The real problem is that we have a two-speed Europe," economist Alberto Gallo of Royal Bank of Scotland told the BBC. "The biggest increase in unemployment is being driven by Italy and Spain.
"It is the same as you are seeing in financial markets," he explained. "The periphery [Spain and Italy] is the area where the banks are the least capitalised and need the most help, and the loan rates are the highest."
- » Bulgaria Says Angela Merkel Pledges Support for Its Bid for Additional Help from Frontex
- » EC Appoints Bulgaria’s Charlina Vitcheva Deputy Director-General at Joint Research Centre
- » Bulgaria to Assume EU Presidency 6 Months Earlier
- » EC Takes Bulgaria to Court over Insufficient Protection of Endangered Birds
- » Bulgarian Army Ready to Boost Assistance to Police in Border Protection, Def Min Says
- » EU Asks Bulgaria to Comply with Rules for Energy Consumption of Buildings
We need a strong definition per country how to eliminate unemployment and increase training and innovation.
The EU concept concerning the ills of unemployment is a veil for the political system hide behind and seek handouts that raise many sovereign and nationalism issues.
We need each country articulate a policy and methods to integrate with the Emerging Economies, Mercosur,Nafta and Bric.
The Commercial Sections of the Bulgarian Embassies must articulate Projects, Programs and open markets.