UN SG Ban Calls for Peace Operation in Mali
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has issued a statement in support of an offensive peace enforcing operation in Mali.
Ban said that the operation, to be allowed by the UN's Security Council, would be implemented by the African Union.
It would counteract Islamic militants who have occupied vast parts of the north of Mali.
Ban has however vowed no UN financial support for Mali and used careful wording, which is interpreted as indication about the uncertainty in the upcoming Security Council vote.
UN's last peace building and enforcement mission was the mission in Somalia in the early 1990s.
- » US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel 'Stepping Down'
- » Turkey President Says Women Not Equal to Men
- » Ukraine Could Prepare for EU, NATO at Least 6 Years - President
- » French Jets Reinforce International Coalition Against IS
- » Lithuania to Supply Weaponry to Ukraine
- » US Army to Stay in Poland and the Baltic States Through 2015