Bulgaria Rulers Quickly Name Successor to Tainted Sofia Rep
Bulgaria's ruling party administrative secretary is to be appointed GERB regional coordinator in the capital Sofia, it emerged on Tuesday evening.
Tsvetomir Paunov will succeed Andrey Ivanov, who resigned earlier in the day.
In a statement circulated to the media, Ivanov claimed that he does not want "speculations" surrounding him to damage the party's image during the upcoming general elections campaign in 2013.
In January 2012, Ivanov resigned as chair of the Sofia City Council amidst embezzlement allegations.
He was accused of illegally acquiring a number of properties worth a total of BGN 10 M, having excessive amounts of real estate and dealing with murky figures.
Ivanov has firmly denied any wrong-doing.
- » Bulgarian Municipalities Seek Urgent Reforms, Greater Decentralization
- » Nationalist MP Joins Bulgaria without Censorship Party
- » Bulgaria's Caretaker Government 'Could Have' Elections Minister
- » Pernik – Sofia Road Expansion Project to Use EU Funding
- » Bulgaria to Spend BGN 53 M on Traffic Monitoring Systems
- » GERB to Win Most Votes in Next Election – IMP Poll