Notorious Bulgarian Ruling Party Official Resigns
Andrey Ivanov, the Sofia regional coordinator of Bulgaria's ruling GERB party, has resigned, local media inform.
In a statement, Ivanov has claimed that he does not want "speculations" surrounding him to damage the party's image during the upcoming general elections campaign in 2013.
The resignation has been accepted by GERB leader and Prime Minister Boyko Borisov.
In January 2012, Ivanov resigned as chair of the Sofia City Council amidst embezzlement allegations.
He was accused of illegally acquiring a number of properties worth a total of BGN 10 M, having excessive amounts of real estate and dealing with murky figures. He firmly denies all allegations.
- » Bulgaria’s Garmen Braces for New Protest against Illegal Roma Dwellings
- » Bulgarian Socialists to Decide at Referendum on Left-wing Alliance for Presidential Vote
- » UNESCO Head Bokova Denies Speculation She Might Run for Bulgarian President
- » Bulgaria Socialists Name Legendary Film Actor as Deputy Chair
- » Bulgaria's Socialist Party Undergoes Reshuffles
- » Bulgaria MPs Turn Down Medical Cannabis Legalization