Notorious Bulgarian Ruling Party Official Resigns
Andrey Ivanov, the Sofia regional coordinator of Bulgaria's ruling GERB party, has resigned, local media inform.
In a statement, Ivanov has claimed that he does not want "speculations" surrounding him to damage the party's image during the upcoming general elections campaign in 2013.
The resignation has been accepted by GERB leader and Prime Minister Boyko Borisov.
In January 2012, Ivanov resigned as chair of the Sofia City Council amidst embezzlement allegations.
He was accused of illegally acquiring a number of properties worth a total of BGN 10 M, having excessive amounts of real estate and dealing with murky figures. He firmly denies all allegations.
- » GERB, Reformist Bloc Take ‘Step Forward’ in Coalition Talks
- » Iva Yordanova Resigns as Deputy Head of Agency for Bulgarians Abroad
- » Bulgarian Socialists Ready for New Talks with GERB, Mikov Says
- » Bulgaria’s President: New Elections Are Not an Option
- » Bulgaria's GERB to Hold New Gov't Talks with Four Parties
- » GERB Starts Closed-Door Meeting to Discuss Gov't Options