Bulgaria's Women Turn Breadwinners as Crisis Hits Men Hard
Bulgaria's women, known for their beauty and intelligence, have always been the country's best ambassadors abroad, but are now also becoming the main provider in the family at home.
Bulgarian households are becoming increasingly dependent on the money that mothers and wives bring home with thousands of men losing their jobs, a survey shows.
Nearly 26,000 men were laid off this year, while the number of female workers is on the rise – up by 6300 to 1.42 million, according to national statistics for the third quarter of 2012.
The male unemployment rate has increased to 12.7%, while the jobless women account for just 10%.
Men continue to enjoy higher salaries, but the gap is melting and soon the roles will be swapped, say experts.
Ladies are more flexible and aggressive, which is the reason why they are preferred when it comes to crisis-triggered mass layoffs, businessmen comment.
- » Bulgarian Archaeologists Discover 1500-Year-Old Cross in Sandanski
- » Car Hits Bulgarian Schoolgirl at Pedestrian Crossing in Italy
- » Bulgaria’s Tarnovo Constitution Exhibited for 1st Time at President’s Office in Sofia
- » Massive Queues Reported at Bulgarian-Turkish Border Crossing Points
- » Lift Set on Fire Hours Before Start of Bansko Ski World Cup
- » Subway Section to Sofia Airport to be Launched in early April