Bulgaria's Women Turn Breadwinners as Crisis Hits Men Hard
Bulgaria's women, known for their beauty and intelligence, have always been the country's best ambassadors abroad, but are now also becoming the main provider in the family at home.
Bulgarian households are becoming increasingly dependent on the money that mothers and wives bring home with thousands of men losing their jobs, a survey shows.
Nearly 26,000 men were laid off this year, while the number of female workers is on the rise – up by 6300 to 1.42 million, according to national statistics for the third quarter of 2012.
The male unemployment rate has increased to 12.7%, while the jobless women account for just 10%.
Men continue to enjoy higher salaries, but the gap is melting and soon the roles will be swapped, say experts.
Ladies are more flexible and aggressive, which is the reason why they are preferred when it comes to crisis-triggered mass layoffs, businessmen comment.
- » Bulgaria Ranks 58th by Human Development Index
- » Reporters Without Borders Slam Amendments to BG Penal Code on Banks
- » Private Companies to Organize Driving License Tests – Agency Head
- » Bulgarian Police Is Looking For A German Citizen
- » Bulgaria's Environment Ministry Warns of Possible Flash Floods
- » Almost Half of Bulgarians Live Below Poverty Threshold – Survey