Bulgaria's Women Turn Breadwinners as Crisis Hits Men Hard
Bulgaria's women, known for their beauty and intelligence, have always been the country's best ambassadors abroad, but are now also becoming the main provider in the family at home.
Bulgarian households are becoming increasingly dependent on the money that mothers and wives bring home with thousands of men losing their jobs, a survey shows.
Nearly 26,000 men were laid off this year, while the number of female workers is on the rise – up by 6300 to 1.42 million, according to national statistics for the third quarter of 2012.
The male unemployment rate has increased to 12.7%, while the jobless women account for just 10%.
Men continue to enjoy higher salaries, but the gap is melting and soon the roles will be swapped, say experts.
Ladies are more flexible and aggressive, which is the reason why they are preferred when it comes to crisis-triggered mass layoffs, businessmen comment.
- » Two Earthquakes Measuring 3.3, 3.9 on Richter Scale Registered in SE Bulgaria
- » Subway Trains to Sofia Airport Start Running at 1 pm on April 2
- » Access to Key Bulgarian Government Websites Restored
- » Fire Breaks out in Central London, 2,000 People Evacuated
- » Key Bulgarian Government Websites Blocked
- » French Officials Deny Video Footage Found at Germanwings Plane Crash Site