Bulgaria's Women Turn Breadwinners as Crisis Hits Men Hard
Bulgaria's women, known for their beauty and intelligence, have always been the country's best ambassadors abroad, but are now also becoming the main provider in the family at home.
Bulgarian households are becoming increasingly dependent on the money that mothers and wives bring home with thousands of men losing their jobs, a survey shows.
Nearly 26,000 men were laid off this year, while the number of female workers is on the rise – up by 6300 to 1.42 million, according to national statistics for the third quarter of 2012.
The male unemployment rate has increased to 12.7%, while the jobless women account for just 10%.
Men continue to enjoy higher salaries, but the gap is melting and soon the roles will be swapped, say experts.
Ladies are more flexible and aggressive, which is the reason why they are preferred when it comes to crisis-triggered mass layoffs, businessmen comment.
- » Up to 15 Feared Dead in Wednesday Blast at Bulgarian Explosives Plant
- » Blast at Explosives Factory in NW Bulgaria Cuts Off Power Supply to 2 Hydropower Plants
- » Fire Safety Service Holds Emergency Meeting over Blast at Explosives Factory in NW Bulgaria
- » Blast at Explosives Plant in NW Bulgaria Leaves at least 2 Injured, over 10 Feared Dead
- » 600 Thousand Bulgarians Suffer from Diabetes – Expert
- » Donations in Bulgaria Hit Record Low in 2013