Sofia Crash Injures 2 Policemen, Traffic at Standstill
A very serious traffic accident between a tram and two cars occurred Friday morning at the intersection of the main boulevards "Bulgaria" and "Evlogi and Hristo Georgievi" in the Bulgarian capital Sofia.
The crash happened around 10 am, near the National Palace of Culture, NDK.
The tram servicing the number 6 line ran a red light, according to the Interior Ministry, hit a Subaru SUV, which spun around and crashed into a police patrol car. Both automobiles suffered serious damage, while the tram has derailed.
The tram driver and 2 policemen were sent to the hospital with non-live-threatening injuries.
However, the Center for City Mobility and eyewitnesses, including passengers in the tram, say the crash was caused by the SUV running a red light.
The service on the 6 line has been suspended over the probe. Traffic lights near the site of the accident are not functioning and huge traffic jams are reported.
- » Sunny Weather Forecast for Bulgaria on Saturday
- » Pro-Russian Supporters, Opponents Clash Ahead of Arrival of Night Wolves in Sofia
- » Nationalists Attack Ukrainian Anti-Night Wolves Demo in Bulgaria's Burgas
- » Rainfall, Winds Expected in Bulgaria on Wednesday
- » Search Team Finds Dead Body of Missing Young Man in Bulgaria’s Maritsa River
- » Bulgarian Cabinet Provides BGN 26 M to Municipalities for Education