Spain Deems Burgas Bombing Probe Key for Hezbollah Ban
The results of Bulgaria's probe in July's suicide bombing of an Israeli tour bus, including a possible Hezbollah lead, will be "essential" for the EU process to list the Lebanese organization as a terrorist entity, according to Spain's Deputy Foreign Minister Gonzalo de Benito.
In an extensive interview with The Jerusalem Post, de Benito, whose title is secretary of state for foreign affairs, says of a proposed blacklisting of Hezbollah, "We want to take the decision with our European countries and are waiting for the report from Bulgaria."
Earlier in November, France's Ambassador to Israel, Christophe Bigot, made a very similar statement before the same media regarding the EU position on Hezbollah, when stressing that the "main element is what is the outcome of the inquiry in Bulgaria."
Five Israeli tourists and a Bulgarian bus driver were killed in the July 18 terrorist attack in the Bulgarian Black Sea city of Burgas. 32 Israeli tourists were injured. Israeli and American intelligence and officials largely blame Hezbollah for the attack.
However, Bulgarian officials, including the President, the Prime Minister, and the Foreign Affairs Minister, have been very wary of directly involving Hezbollah, reiterating it all depended on the findings of the ongoing investigation.
- » Turkey: EU Criticisms Have No Value for Us
- » EU, NATO Warn Turkey Against Escalation of Tension
- » Bulgarian MEP, French Ambassador in Spat over Remarks
- » Bulgaria's Election Body Bans Campaign Video Showing Turkish Ambassador
- » Bulgaria Summons Turkish Ambassador over Minister's Campaigning
- » Bulgaria's Ex US Ambassador Says Her Name Involved in Disinformation Scandal