Bulgaria's LGBT Request Legal Sex Self-Determination
Members of Bulgaria's LGBT community presented Thursday their call for an introduction of a right for citizens to determine their gender based on their feeling of identity.
At a press conference in Sofia, members of the Ability Resource Center said that although in most European countries each citizen has the right to determine the sex that will be entered into his or her identity documents, identity laws in Bulgaria are tied to the biological sex.
So people who want to change their sexual identity must undergo a sex change operation in order that their feeling of identity be formalized in their documents.
What is more, argued Ability members, undergoing a sex change operation in especially hard in Bulgaria, for clinics request an initial court decision before starting the procedure.
According to Bulgaria's Penal Code, a sex change operation might be classified as the crime of impairing a person's procreative fuctions, thus mandating a special court permission for each single case.
Ability representatives argued that Bulgarian authorities could do a lot to make regulation not so hindering for people who want to express their sexual identity.
- » Bulgaria Confirms Participation in 2016 Eurovision Song Contest
- » Second Edition of Morocco Days in Bulgaria Begins in Sofia on November 30
- » First Snow Falls in Bulgaria's Northwest
- » Bulgaria 'Should Accept More Migrants' to Overcome Demographic Crisis
- » Sofia Hosts Third International Literary Festival Between November 25-December 13
- » Passengers Wait for Hours on Planes at Plovdiv Airport