Bulgaria's LGBT Request Legal Sex Self-Determination
Members of Bulgaria's LGBT community presented Thursday their call for an introduction of a right for citizens to determine their gender based on their feeling of identity.
At a press conference in Sofia, members of the Ability Resource Center said that although in most European countries each citizen has the right to determine the sex that will be entered into his or her identity documents, identity laws in Bulgaria are tied to the biological sex.
So people who want to change their sexual identity must undergo a sex change operation in order that their feeling of identity be formalized in their documents.
What is more, argued Ability members, undergoing a sex change operation in especially hard in Bulgaria, for clinics request an initial court decision before starting the procedure.
According to Bulgaria's Penal Code, a sex change operation might be classified as the crime of impairing a person's procreative fuctions, thus mandating a special court permission for each single case.
Ability representatives argued that Bulgarian authorities could do a lot to make regulation not so hindering for people who want to express their sexual identity.
- » Orthodox Christians Hail St Demetrius
- » Bulgaria's President: New Education Models Must Reflect Migration, Demographic Problems
- » Over 60 Cases of Pedophiles Online Uncovered So Far in 2016 in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria's Rakursi Gallery To Present Moonlight Reflections-Guanlan by Veliko Marinchevski
- » Roma to Make Up 1/4 of New Entries into Bulgaria's Labour Market in 2020
- » Asylum Seekers Protest in Bulgaria over Poor Conditions