President: Democraphics, Resources, Technology Key for Bulgaria
Human and natural resources, as well as the nurture of technologies need to be Bulgaria's top priorities to boost its national security, stated Bulgarian President Rosen Plevneliev.
Thursday Plevneliev gave a lecture during a forum dubbed "Current problems and priorities in Bulgaria's national security system."
"One of the chief problems that Bulgaria will face in 2021 will be a demographic crisis. So we must implement policies that will make young Bulgarian emigrants return, and attract qualified youngsters from other countries," said the President.
He added that Bulgarian institutions further need to think about measures to stimulate birth rate among Bulgarians.
"Bulgaria also needs to think hard about the management of its natural resources," added Plevneliev.
He explained that he had in mind the whole range of resources - from water to fuels like natural gas.
"The recently signed agreement with Russia on the South Stream gas pipeline project is especially important for Bulgaria," stated Plevneliev.
As a third point of priority for Bulgaria's security, the President singled out the development and more extensive implementation of innovative technologies.
Plevneliev reiterated his long-cherished idea of creating so-called "technolgy parks" across Bulgaria, with the added effect of creating new jobs and boosting GDP.
- » Interior Minister Notes 2.5-Fold Increase of Migratory Flow Through Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria’s Ataka Party Protests over Downing of Russian Warplane by Turkey
- » IntMin: Bulgaria Is Not Directly Threatened by Russia-Turkey Tensions
- » Bulgaria Govt to Spend BGN 1 M on Electric Cars for Civil Servants
- » Bulgaria's Cultural Sector Workers to Protest Against Insufficient Funding
- » Bulgarian Authorities Detain 24 Illegal Migrants Near Pazardzhik