European Commission Warns Bulgaria over Landfills
The European Commission has asked Bulgaria to bring its landfills in line with EU legislation as a part of a horizontal exercise that concerns several Member States.
Under EU law, landfilling should only be used as a last resort, and it can only be done under conditions that avoid impacts on human health and the environment, the European Commission has reminded in a press release.
Bulgaria had agreed to close the landfills that do not meet the requirements of EU legislation.
However, while some progress has been made, 124 landfills are still in breach of the legislation. The Commission is therefore sending a reasoned opinion (the second stage in EU infringement proceedings), giving Bulgaria two months to reply.
If the country fails to do so, the Commission may refer the case to the EU Court of Justice.
- » Intensive Rains in Some Areas, Hailstorms Possible
- » NIMH: Short Rains with Thunders in the Afternoon
- » Weak Earthquake Registered Nearby Devin
- » Mostly Sunny Today with Temporary Cloud Increases
- » Most of the Country Will be Cloudy Today with Light Showers in Places
- » Bulgaria Nominates Four Biosphere Reserves For Inclusion in UNESCO’s World Network of Biosphere Reserves