European Commission Warns Bulgaria over Landfills
The European Commission has asked Bulgaria to bring its landfills in line with EU legislation as a part of a horizontal exercise that concerns several Member States.
Under EU law, landfilling should only be used as a last resort, and it can only be done under conditions that avoid impacts on human health and the environment, the European Commission has reminded in a press release.
Bulgaria had agreed to close the landfills that do not meet the requirements of EU legislation.
However, while some progress has been made, 124 landfills are still in breach of the legislation. The Commission is therefore sending a reasoned opinion (the second stage in EU infringement proceedings), giving Bulgaria two months to reply.
If the country fails to do so, the Commission may refer the case to the EU Court of Justice.
- » Mostly Sunny Weather with Temperatures of up to 22-27°C
- » NIMH: Mostly Sunny Today with Temperatures of Up to 22-27°C
- » Those who Died in the California Fires are Now 42
- » Xi Jinping: China will Fight to Stop Climate Change
- » NIMH: Fog in Some Areas in the Morning, Maximum Temperatures 22-27°C
- » The Eco Minster Re-launched the Idea of Banning Coal with Sulfur and Ash