Ex Bulgarian President Nominated for Constitution Court
Former Bulgarian President, Petar Stoyanov, is the candidate for constitutional judge of Bulgaria's right-wing Union of Democratic Forces party, UDF.
The Bulgarian National Radio, BNR, however, reports that Stoyanov has asked to have three days to say if he would accept the nomination.
Some from UDF, like publicist Edvin Sugarev, say the ex President (1997 – 2002) would decline.
Markovska's name had become implicated in allegations of trade in influence, which she was unable to dispel, but nevertheless chose not to resign, after being elected to the Constitutional Court by Parliament.
Monday Bulgaria's Prime Minister Boyko Borisov unexpectedly informally invited UDF to nominate a replacement for Markovska on grounds the formation was the oldest right-wing party in Bulgaria and is a member of the European People's Party, EPP, similarly to his ruling Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria party, GERB.
The move is interpreted as an attempt from the PM to attract the allegiance of the Union and create further divisions in the feeble Blue Coalition between the UDF and Democrats for Strong Bulgaria, DSB.
UDF Chair, Emil Kabaivanov said the party will present a strong nomination, which will "clean the tarnished international image of Bulgaria."
DSB, led by former PM Ivan Kostov, already declared they would not nominate again the Deputy Speaker of the Parliament, Ekaterina Mihaylova, who failed against Markovska.
Former President Petar Stoyanov has a law degree, an extensive legal experience and enjoys international recognition and respect.
The other frontrunner was former Interior Minister, Yordan Sokolov.
- » Regional Minister Expects No More Delays to Launch of Maritsa Motorway
- » Bulgaria's Nedelino Has New Mayor as Court Removes Former Holder
- » Bulgaria’s Environment Ministry Files BGN 180 000 Lawsuit against Concessionaire of Bansko Ski Zone
- » Bulgaria’s President Backs Judicial Reform through Constitutional Changes
- » Bulgarian Socialist Party to Try to Appeal New Debt of BGN 16 B at Constitutional Court
- » Increased Consumption of Cigarettes and Alcohol in Bulgaria