Israel Postpones Gaza Invasion
Israel has temporarily put on hold its potential ground operation in Gaza, according to media reports. '
The decision is intended to to give Egyptian-led truce efforts a chance to work, a senior Israeli official has explained.
"A decision was taken that for the time being there is a temporary hold on the ground incursion to give diplomacy a chance to succeed," the official has told AFP, as cited by Sky News.
Meanwhile, it was announced that US President Barack Obama is sending Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton to the Middle East to try to defuse the conflict in Gaza.
The death toll in Gaza climbed to at least 90 on Monday as Israel continued to strike targets within the Palestinian enclave and UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon headed to Egypt to attempt to secure a ceasefire.
- » Turkey Waives Visas for EU Citizens, Awaits Visa-Free Travel Decision for Its Nationals
- » Merkel 'Proposed NATO Membership to Japan'
- » Die Welt: Six EU States Urge Extension of Schengen Internal Border Controls
- » Roaming Charges in EU Fall as of Saturday
- » Helicopter with Thirteen People on Board Crashes off Norway
- » Austria Adopts New Tougher Asylum Law