Israel Ready for Ground Invasion in Gaza - Report
Israel is ready for a ground operation in the Gaza Strip but prefers a diplomatic solution, according to a report.
"Israel is prepared and has taken steps, and is ready for a ground incursion which will deal severely with the Hamas military machine," a senior official close to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has told Reuters, as cited by Ynetnews.
However, the official has clarified that Israel would prefer to see a diplomatic solution that would guarantee the peace for the country's population in the south.
"If that is possible, then a ground operation would no longer be required. If diplomacy fails, we may well have no alternative but to send in ground forces," the official has said.
On Sunday, US President Barack Obama also stated that it would be "preferable" to avoid a move into Gaza.
The death toll in Gaza climbed to at least 90 on Monday as Israel continued to strike targets within the Palestinian enclave and UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon headed to Egypt to attempt to secure a ceasefire.
- » Putin Needs 'Phone Call' to End War in Syria, UK's Hammond Says
- » Germany Warns Bulgaria, Macedonia against Sealing Borders to Migrants
- » Key Bulgaria-Greece Checkpoint Remains Closed to Transit Trucks
- » Turkish Army Shells Kurds in Northern Syria
- » Pope Francis, Russian Patriach Call for Christian Unity in Historic Meeting
- » Protests of Greek Farmers Close Ilinden Checkpoint on Bulgarian-Greek Border