Water Sector Investments in Bulgarian Municipalities Exceed BGN 1.7 B
Investments in the water sector in Bulgarian municipalities exceed BGN 1.7 B, according to Environment Minister Nona Karadzhova.
Speaking Monday at the opening of the fifth international conference on reducing water losses in water supply systems, she reminded that the European Commission had issued a European strategy on the sustainable use of water resources a few days ago.
Karadzhova, as cited by the Focus news agency, explained that the drafting of the EU strategy had taken quite some time as the topic was very important.
She voiced confidence that Bulgaria was headed in the right direction in the sphere, adding that the legislation regulating the sector would be amended.
Bulgaria's Environment cited forecasts that the world's population would reach 9 million by 2050, adding that water and fertile lands were among the most precious resources.
Karadzhova suggested that Bulgaria could be therefore considered a rich country because it had fertile territories.
She refuted the long-held idea that Bulgaria was poor in water resources, claiming that the country was simply failing to store its water resources properly due to the poor condition of the water pipes.
Karadzhova emphasized that many places in Bulgaria were absorbing substantial investments in the sphere thanks to the Environment Operational Program.
"It is very important that we set priorities – the best technologies at affordable prices," she noted, adding that the resources had to be used to the best interests of the people.
She also underscored the excellent cooperation between the Ministry of Environment and Water and the Ministry of Regional Development and Public Works.
- » Bulgaria Unveils Investment Opportunities to China’s Qingdao City Govt
- » Launch of Power Exchange Will Not Lead to 30-40% Price Spike – Watchdog Chair
- » Bulgaria Ranked 55th Out of 61 Competitive Economies
- » OMV Interested in Using Bulgarian Pipes to Transport Romanian Gas
- » Bulgarians Made More Business, Holiday Trips Abroad in April
- » Macedonia Will Only Join Turkish Stream amid Agreement between Russia, EU on it - Gruevski