Bulgarian Socialists Stage National Anti-GERB Protest
The opposition left-wing Bulgarian Socialist Party, BSP, is staging Saturday a large protest rally in the capital Sofia under the motto "Let's Put an End to the Disaster GERB."
It is expected that thousands will gather at the Alexander Nevsky square in the very heart of Sofia.
Sergey Stanishev, BSP leader, leader of the Party of European Socialists, PES, and former Prime Minister of Bulgaria, called on everyone opposing the policies of the ruling Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria party, GERB, the misery, the unemployment, and the social indifference to join the rally.
"GERB is turning into a threat for the State. We must put an end to this disastrous rule. Let's launch the beginning of the end of GERB," Stanishev has written on Facebook.
Speakers at the rally include both politicians and common citizens who will address issues such as the future of plans to build a second Nuclear Power Plant, NPP, in the Danube town of Belene, the elderly, healthcare, and the damages from the strong May earthquake in the western city of Pernik.
BSP have also warned that they expect provocations, the Bulgarian online news agency Dnevnik reports. An anonymous tipoff has been received at the BSP headquarters, informing "makeshift" fans of a football club are preparing to sabotage the rally. The police have been notified.
This is the second national protest organized by the Socialists against GERB since the latter took office. It was initially scheduled for November 11, but had to be postponed over the demise of Bulgarian Patriarch Maxim.
- » Bulgarian President to Hand Borisov Exploratory Mandate to Form Government on April 27
- » Every 3 Months, Parliament To Invite the Prosecutor-General To The Legal Affairs Committee
- » The Prosecutor's Office Investigates NEC's Consultancy And Legal Services Contracts
- » 3.5 km Queue of Trucks at Bulgaria’s Dunav Bridge 2 Border Checkpoint
- » Boyko Borisov: Opposition’s Statement That It Would Provide Assistance on Important Topics is Populism
- » Kornelia Ninova:'’We Are Worried About the Demographic Crisis and Poverty in Bulgaria’’