Egypt Warns Israel of 'Price to Pay' over Gaza Offensive
Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi has warned Israel against the continuation of its military operation in Gaza, saying it will pay have to pay "a heavy price."
"Gaza will not remain alone as it was," he tweeted on his Twitter page, according to the al-Masry al-Yaoum newspaper, as cited by RIA Novosti, adding that the aggressors "know they will pay a heavy price is they continue their aggression."
"I don't want to take unusual steps, but if I see that the homeland is in danger, I won't hesitate," Morsi warned Israel about the consequences of its strikes in Gaza.
"The blood spilled over there will not get the other side peace and will serve as a curse on them. It will incite all the people of the region against them," he added.
Israel launched its attack on the Palestinian enclave of 1.7 million on Wednesday, with an airstrike that killed the head of the military wing of the Hamas militant group, Ahmed Jabari.
The airstrike came after a reported surge in rocket attacks on Israeli border towns from Gaza, which has been governed by Hamas since 2007.
Palestinian medics say eight militants and 14 civilians, including seven children and a pregnant woman, have been killed in the last three days by Israeli bombs. Residents say the closure of many smuggling tunnels between Gaza and Egypt has meant supplies are running low and power cuts are frequent.
In a sign of further escalation, Israel's army has begun the call-up of 16,000 reservists, the military said. Earlier the military announced that it had been authorized to call up as many as 30,000 reservists.
"Egypt doesn't want to fight and constantly calls for peace, but real peace is not just for one side at the expense of another side, so that one side enjoys the good life while the others suffer from attacks and ongoing killing," Morsi said.
- » Macron Signs French Labor Reform Decrees
- » Uber Stripped of its License to Operate in London
- » Israeli Jets Bombed Site Close to Damascus Airport
- » Spain Police Detain Man Accused of Link to Barcelona Attacks
- » Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting North Korea's Trading Partners
- » North Korea may Consider H-bomb Test in Pacific