Bulgariа's Top Prosecutors Deem Notorious 'Lobbyist' Not Guilty
Bulgaria's Supreme Prosecutor's Office of Cassation deems notorious lobbyist Krasimir Georgiev, aka Krasio the Black, not guilty of perjury.
This became clear on Wednesday after Bulgaria's top prosecution institution refused to back the appeal of the Sofia City Prosecutor's Office on Georgiev's earlier acquittal.
In May 2012, the Sofia City Court (SCC) revokedthe two-year suspended sentence of notorious businessman and alleged court lobbyist Krasimir Georgiev, aka Krasio the Black, for perjury.
The Sofia Appellate Prosecutor's Office moved to make an appeal to the Supreme Court of Cassation but it has now failed to get the support of the Supreme Prosecutor's Office of Cassation.
The name of Krasio the Black surfaced in the summer of 2009, when Ivan Kolev, member of the Supreme Judicial Council (VSS), announced that "some guy called Krasio from Pleven" was "selling" senior posts in the judiciary for EUR 200 000.
Krasio was said to be able to "guarantee" the support of 8-13 members of a total of 27 members of the VSS.
A number of magistrates, including ones from supreme judicial bodies, were dismissed or resigned after the scandal broke out.
In end-February 2012, the Sofia Regional Court declared Georgiev Georgiev guilty of perjury and gave him a two-year suspended sentence over testifying that he did not know any magistrates despite evidence to the contrary.
Thursday's ruling of the SCC, however, declares Georgiev not guilty and also points to a number of flaws in the investigation.
Georgiev received Thursday his second acquittal, after he was cleared of tax evasion the tune of around BGN 95 000 in the period 2006-2008.
The acquittal ruling was issued by the Sofia City Court in end-April. Georgiev was also investigated for trading in influence but the case did not reach court.
- » School Directors in Bulgaria are Seeking for 3000 Teachers
- » Bulgarian Border Police Hands Foreign Drivers Brochures on Road Traffic Rules
- » Bulgarian PM: 'We Reported Tsankov Kamak to the Prosecutor's Office Because That Installation for BGN1b is Not Working'
- » CEM Held the Hearing of Six Candidates for Director of the Bulgarian National Television
- » 500 People Working in the Summer Resort Sunny Beach are Protesting
- » With BGN 500 000, the Oldest Building of the Troyan Monastery will be Renovated