Bulgarian Astronomers Are Communists - FinMin
Bulgarian Finance Minister Simeon Djankov has lashed out at astronomy researchers from the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences for having requested proper funding.
"There is no money in Bulgaria's state budget for a subsidy of the Rozhen Observatory," stated Djankov Tuesday.
"The Rozhen Observatory belongs to the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, which has its own budget and is to decide how to spend its money," said FinMin Djankov Tuesday.
Since assuming office in 2009, Djankov has launched a relentless campaign against BAS, cutting its budget to with some 40%, and not refraining from vitriolic attacks against its alleged ineffectiveness.
"BAS has only showed again that they can't make real reforms, and only rely on the state like it was under the communist regime," commented the observatory case the Bulgarian Minister of Finance.
According to Djankov, the Rozhen Observatory has issued similar calls in the past in trying to wring the government's hands, and will actually not shut down.
- » Bulgaria's Education Minister Submits Resignation
- » Bulgarian Deputy Education Minister to Step Down
- » Over 100 UK Students to Study Medicine in Bulgaria's Pleven
- » Hundreds Protest in Bulgaria over Proposed Drafts of School Education
- » Bad Weather Cancels Classes in 544 Bulgarian Schools on Monday
- » Eurydice Study Shows Bulgarian Teachers Get Lowest Wages Across Europe