Wozniacki Back into Top 10 despite Stunning Defeat in Sofia
Former world No 1 Caroline Wozniacki is back into the women's top 10 despite a painful and crushing defeat at the Tournament of Champions final in Sofia, the sport's governing body ranking shows.
Despite massive support for her from the crowd in Sofia's Arena Armeec Hall and boyfriend Rory McIlroy, golf's world number one, the Dane suffered a surprising and emphatic defeat on Sunday evening by Nadia Petrova.
The Russian grabbed the trophy of the Tournament of Champions thanks to her solid and seamless performance.
Playing in the final however secured Caroline Wozniacki a move up from no. 11 to no. 10 in the final rankings of the year.
Petrova climbed to no. 12 in the season ending rankings.
Victoria Azarenka leads the otherwise unchanged top 10 with 10 595 points from Russian Maria Sharapova.
The Belarussian last week became the 11th player to top the year-ending rankings since they were introduced in 1975.
WTA rankings as of November 5 (previous ranking in parenthesis):
1. (1) Victoria Azarenka, Belarus, 10 595 points
2. (2) Maria Sharapova, Russia, 10 045
3. (3) Serena Williams, United States, 9 400
4. (4) Agnieszka Radwanska, Poland, 7 425
5. (5) Angelique Kerber, Germany, 5 550
6. (6) Sara Errani, Italy, 5 100
7. (7) Li Na, China, 5 095
8. (8) Petra Kvitova, Czech Republic, 5 085
9. (9) Samantha Stosur, Australia, 4 135
10. (11) Caroline Wozniacki, Denmark, 3 765
- » Perfect Start for Grigor Dimitrov in Barcelona
- » Mohamed Salah: Liverpool Forward Voted PFA Player of the Year 2017-18
- » Grigor Dimitrov Beat David Goffin in Quarter-finals
- » Breaking News: Arsen Wenger is Leaving Arsenal at the End of the Season
- » Grigor Dimitrov Reached the Quarter-finals in Monte Carlo
- » Dimitrov through in Monte Carlo