Putin Dismisses Defence Minister
Russian President Vladimir Putin has dismissed the country's defence minister after the ministry was caught up in a corruption scandal.
Anatoly Serdyukov has been replaced with a former emergencies minister and loyal ally to Putin, Sergei Shoigu.
Russia's top investigative agency is investigating the sale of ministry assets at prices below market value.
Putin said he had removed Serdyukov to create "conditions for an objective investigation".
Last month, Russian investigators raided the offices of a defence ministry firm and began investigating the company on suspicion that it had sold assets to commercial firms at a loss of nearly USD 100 M.
Serdyukov's relationship with a former top military bureaucrat is also being looked into as part of the inquiry.
- » Dozens Dead in Suicide Bombing at Kabul Mosque
- » The Emperor of Japan will Abdicate on 31 March 2019
- » Far from Catalonia, Canvey Island in England also Wants Independence
- » EU will Cut Some Money For Turkey as Ties Sour
- » Drone Video Shows Full Scale of Destruction of the Syrian City of Raqqa (Video)
- » Greek Police Arrest Syrian Suspected of Terrorism Overseas