Putin Dismisses Defence Minister
Russian President Vladimir Putin has dismissed the country's defence minister after the ministry was caught up in a corruption scandal.
Anatoly Serdyukov has been replaced with a former emergencies minister and loyal ally to Putin, Sergei Shoigu.
Russia's top investigative agency is investigating the sale of ministry assets at prices below market value.
Putin said he had removed Serdyukov to create "conditions for an objective investigation".
Last month, Russian investigators raided the offices of a defence ministry firm and began investigating the company on suspicion that it had sold assets to commercial firms at a loss of nearly USD 100 M.
Serdyukov's relationship with a former top military bureaucrat is also being looked into as part of the inquiry.
- » Turkey's State of Emergency Should Be Extended - Security Body
- » Vice President Georgieva To Leave EC for 1 Month
- » 5.4-Magnitude Earthquake Hits Rhodes Island
- » Turkey Fires 87 Secret Service Employees
- » Slovakian PM Fico: Asylum Seekers Quotas Are Politically Exhausted
- » Merkel Calls For Agreements on Migrants With Tunisia, Egypt