Russia's Petrova, TOC Sofia Winner: What a Great Finish!
Russia's Nadia Petrova won the first edition of Qatar Airways Tournament of Champions, which will be organized in Sofia in the next two years too.
In the final match at Arena Armeec hall in downtown Sofia Petrova beat 6:2 6:1 the former number 1 in the world Caroline Wozniacki. Petrova staged an amazingly solid performance and won after 1 hour and 28 minutes.
Thanks to this success, the Russian will be number 12 in the world ranking. With her five victories in Sofia Nadia Petrova received 375 points and USD 270 000. This is her third title for the season and trophy number 13 in her career.
"It was a pleasure for me to play here. This has been a great finish to the end of the season.
I want to congratulate Caroline for her amazing performance this week and making it to the top ten in the world ranking. I wish her luck for the next season. I want to thank specially Qatar Airways, the Bulgarian tennis federation and the sports minister of Bulgaria, who made this tournament a reality.
I want to thank the more special people for me – my coach Ricardo and my manager Monica, and of course the spectators. Maybe next year we will see each other again," said Petrova after the match.
"Nadia played very well, congratulations to her. I want to thank all the sponsors of this event. Special greetings to the fans, who supported me today," said Wozniacki.
Wozniacki's defeat was made even more painful having in mind all the support by the Buglarian audience and boyfriend Rory McIlroy, golf's world number one, who was in the hall from day one.
- » The Prime Minister Meets with Football Bosses Because of the Pressure on Referees
- » National Football Team Coach Announced the Team for Upcoming Friendlies
- » The Cabinet Allocated BGN 1.66 Million for the World Motocross Championship
- » The Greek Football Super League is Temporarily Suspended
- » Former No. 7 in the World is Dimitrov's First Rival in Indian Wells
- » The Boss of the Football Referees in Bulgaria Resigned