Bulgaria among EU Members with Authoritarian Bent - Analyst
Bulgaria is among a group of countries from Central and South-Eastern Europe which are potentially threatened by authoritarian rule, according to German political scientist Klaus Offe.
"A nighmare scenario will see at least 5 EU countries - Austria, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria and Greece will see the rebirth of authoritarian rule," said Offe in a material for Italian Mulino magazine.
According to the Hertie School of Governance in Berlin researcher, we might witness a renaissance of what he called "Austrian-clerical fascism," which emerged in the 1930s.
Offe argued that there is a tendency for authoritarianism special for Central and South-Eastern Europe.
"We can witness its fruits in Hungary and Romania today, and in Austria back in the times of Georg Haider," explained the political scientist.
Offe said that the European Union is an important way to counteract and contain any such developments.
He argued that the time of financial crisis and inequality looming big among EU member states is a prime time for the rearing of authoritarianism in countries which are worse off.
- » EU Court: Bulgaria Breached Antitrust Law during Digital Transition
- » Bulgaria’s PM to Propose System of Combating Human Trafficking at EU Summit
- » Statistics Shows No Restart of Payments to Bulgaria under OP Environment 2007-2013
- » Bulgaria's Public Financial Inspection Establishes 19 Violations in 20 EU-Funded Projects
- » Bulgarian Border Police Records Triple Increase in Illegal Migrant Crossings
- » President Plevneliev: Bulgaria Can Become Regional ‘Engine’ for ICT Industry in Europe
Fascism is born out of financial crisis as is the other extreme - communism. Both are anti-social, brutal and inhuman and each state and, indeed, every citizen, should be on their guard against them. What starts off as appearing perfectly sound and reasonable ends up a nightmare that tears society apart. Boring old "middle of the road" is the way. Citizens who are wealthy or powerful though should beware of "middle of the road" as this has dangers too (for them), it breeds complacency and that leads to unrest which are the forerunners of Fascism/communism and that is where we are at the moment. The rich and powerful MUST show by their deeds (not their mouths) that they are fighters for justice and fairness for all, in Bulgaria that means fighting OC and corruption and paying your taxes like the rest.