Bulgaria Pays Tribute to Its Enlighteners
Bulgaria marks on November 1 the National Enlighteners Day with a series of events organized all across the country.
Across Bulgaria, the National Enlighteners Day is an occasion to pay tribute to all those committed to culture and education, including historical figures and present-day enlighteners.
It has been a tradition in cities and towns throughout the country to hold parades honoring students and teachers.
Bulgaria has been celebrating the National Enlighteners Day as a national holiday since 1922 and teachers and students have seen parades on this occasion since the 1930s.
The holiday was suspended by the Bulgarian Communist regime in 1945. After the dissolution of the Soviet Union, celebration was resumed in 1990 and made official again in 1995.
- » Translation of Bulgarian Novel Goes to 2016 PEN Prize Finals
- » Scorpions 50th Anniversary Tour to Include Sofia Concert on July 17
- » Sofia Film Fest 20th Edition to Take Place March10-31
- » Bulgaria's Pernik Hosts 25th Edition of Surva Masquerade Games
- » Bulgaria's Sofia to Host World Festival of Animated Film Jan 29-31
- » MENAR Film Festival Kicks Off in Sofia on January 14