Commissioner Georgieva Laments Hurricane Sandy Victims
EU Humanitarian Aid Commissioner Kristalina Georgieva has expressed her condolences at the victims of the Hurricane Sandy, which hit the US Tuesday.
"I am saddened by the victims and destruction. I would like to express my compassion with all Americans and especially to families who lost their own during the disaster," said the Bulgarian commissioner in a statement.
At the same time, Georgieva congratulated the US Federal Emergency Management Agency for their "excellent work" at mitigating the effects of Sandy and protecting the population.
The EU Humanitarian Aid Commissioner also said that disasters such as the hurricane recall the need for more effective disaster management strategies, such as the EU's new Mechanism for Civil Protection.
Sunday, Georgieva together with EU External Affairs Senior Representative Catherine Ashton expressed their condolences for the victims of Sandy in the Caribbean.
We wish to express sincere condolences to the people of Haiti, Cuba, Jamaica, the Dominican Republic and the Bahamas, especially the families of those who have lost their lives and those affected by the widespread disastrous effects of the hurricane to homes and livelihoods and the significant economic losses," said Ashton and Georgieva.
The EU Humanitarian Aid Commissioner said Tuesday that the European Commission continues to monitor events around the Hurricane Sandy.
- » Bulgaria MPs Revoke Beach Camping Ban in 2nd Reading
- » Bulgaria's Weather Service Warns of Strong Wind Throughout Bulgaria
- » Code Yellow in Northern Bulgaria over Gale-Force Winds
- » Bulgaria's MPs Revoke Ban on Beach Camping
- » Lukoil Bulgaria Refinery to Get Fined over Air Pollution
- » Bulgaria Warns of Intensive Rainfall in Southern Regions on Thursday