Rains Tail off in Bulgaria, but Mercury Down to 10C
The heavy rains that hit central, western and southern Bulgaria are expected to abate on Tuesday, but temperatures will start to go down, weather forecasts say.
Rains will persist in five districts in the country - Burgas, Varna, Dobrich, Haskovo and Yambol, where heavy downpours - 20 to 60 liters per sq meter - can be expected before noon.
Temperatures, which ranged between 15C and 20C over the weekend, will go down with highs in Sofia forecast at 9-10C.
Heavy rains, coupled with thunderstorms, lashed nearly the whole of Bulgaria on Monday.
The regions of Blagoevgrad, Western Bulgaria, Haskovo, Southern Bulgaria, and Burgas on the Black Sea coast were the hardest-hit.
The capital Sofia saw some of the heaviest downpours, accompanied by thunderstorms.
The pouring rain overwhelmed the sewerage system's ability to drain the water, creating big puddles that were slowing down traffic throughout the city.
- » Minor 2.9-Magnitude Earthquake Registered West of Bulgaria's Smolyan
- » WWF Launches River Conservation Campaign in Bulgaria
- » Minor 2.4-Magnitude Earthquake Reported in Southern Bulgaria
- » Brightest Supermoon in 2 Decades to Be Observed Sunday
- » Code Yellow Warning Issued for Wednesday
- » Flood Death Toll in NW Bulgaria Climbs to 2