Huge Fire Erupts in Sofia High-rise
A large fire erupted Wednesday on the 10th floor of a Sofia apartment building, located on the main "Gotse Delchev" boulevard.
The Interior Ministry, cited by the Focus news agency, reports that four fire trucks and two ambulances are at the scene.
The entrance of the 17-story building is filled with dense smoke and all residents have been evacuated from the premises.
Firemen were able to reach the burning apartment despite the smoke and cut the metal entrance door. An elderly man inside the apartment, who reportedly had suffered two strokes prior to the incident, has been rescued after being seen on the balcony. He is listed in the hospital already. Two other women, living in a neighboring apartment, have suffered smoke inhalation, but they are expected to recover quickly.
The extinguishing effort is continuing. The apartment where the blaze broke is totaled and there is serious damage to those on the same level.
The call has been placed shortly after 1 pm. The cause of the incident is not yet known.
- » Forest Fire Damage in Bulgaria since Jan 2015 Estimated at BGN 10 M
- » 'Socialist Beer' Adds Appeal to Traditional Buzludzha Fest
- » Bulgarian High School Students Win Gold, 2 Silver Medals at International Olympiad in Informatics
- » Inactivity Rate of Young People in Bulgaria at nearly 73% in 2014
- » Robbie Williams to Perform With His Father at Bulgaria's Spirit of Burgas
- » Bulgaria Will Have World's Most Rapidly Shrinking Population in Next 35 Years - UN