Huge Fire Erupts in Sofia High-rise
A large fire erupted Wednesday on the 10th floor of a Sofia apartment building, located on the main "Gotse Delchev" boulevard.
The Interior Ministry, cited by the Focus news agency, reports that four fire trucks and two ambulances are at the scene.
The entrance of the 17-story building is filled with dense smoke and all residents have been evacuated from the premises.
Firemen were able to reach the burning apartment despite the smoke and cut the metal entrance door. An elderly man inside the apartment, who reportedly had suffered two strokes prior to the incident, has been rescued after being seen on the balcony. He is listed in the hospital already. Two other women, living in a neighboring apartment, have suffered smoke inhalation, but they are expected to recover quickly.
The extinguishing effort is continuing. The apartment where the blaze broke is totaled and there is serious damage to those on the same level.
The call has been placed shortly after 1 pm. The cause of the incident is not yet known.
- » Bulgaria’s Vidin Terminates Waste Collection, Disposal Contract with Concessionaire
- » Liberian-Registered Ship Impounded at Varna Port After Unpaid Debt
- » Red Hot Chilli Pipers Greet Bulgarian Audience Prior to May Performance
- » Nineteen People Injured After Explosion in New York City's East Village
- » Intensive Rain Expected Across Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria's Pazardzhik Declares Partial State of Emergency