Venus Williams to Skip Sofia Tournament of Champions
Former world number one, Venus Williams, will not join the upcoming Tournament of Champions in Sofia though she qualified after winning the Luxembourg Open title.
Bulgaria's capital Sofia will host the Tournament of the Champions for the first time October 30-November 4, a chance for tennis fans to enjoy some of the world's elite players.
Venus Williams, 32, will not be able to fly to Sofia because during this period she will be playing together with her sister Serena in Nigeria and South Africa, a planned two-nation African Tour.
The tournament in Sofia will feature eight tennis players, two of whom received a "wild card" - the best Bulgarian female tennis star Tsvetana Pironkova and Russian Maria Kirilenko, who is No. 15 in the rankings.
Caroline Wozniacki, who began this year as Number one in the WTA rankings, confirmed earlier this week that she will take part in The Qatar Airways Tournament of Champions in Sofia.
Nadia Petrova and Roberta Vinci - a pair of WTA veterans who have made career breakthroughs this season – also qualified and confirmed their participation.
Wozniacki will be a group leader due to her high ranking in WTA, currently at No. 11.
- » Tsvetana Pironkova Will Have to Pass the Qualifiers of the US Open
- » Levski Signs Former Manchester United Player
- » Levski Sofia is Out and Botev Plovdiv Crushed its Opponent Last Night in Europa League
- » Ludogorets did not Disappoint and Goes to the Next Round
- » Ludogorets Faces Jalgiris Tonight After a Loss in the First Leg in a Battle for the Champions League
- » Football Legend Francesco Totti Confirms Retirement