PM: Bulgaria Meets Schengen Criteria, That's That!
All EU leaders have acknowledged that Bulgaria has met criteria for Schengen accession and the matter need not be commented further, according to Bulgarian PM Boyko Borisov.
Borisov was commenting at a press conference the delay in Bulgaria's and Romania's scheduled entry into Schengen, following meeting Romnian PM Victor Ponta and participating at the EPP summit in Bucharest.
"I do not even bring up the Schengen topic, for all have agreed that Bulgaria has fulfilled the criteria. So I consider it below my dignity to comment further," said a resolute Borisov.
"We are doing our work in safeguarding the EU's external border. So it is not honest and just on the part of some actors to block our Schengen entry," added he.
Although EU leaders have agreed that Bulgaria and Romania meet Schengen criteria, individual countries such as France and the Netherlands have said they would at this stage veto the accession based on unrelated alleged concerns with corruption and organized crime.
Later Thursday the two PMs are off to Brussels to participate in the European Council.
- » Spain is Richer than Italy, According to Data from the IMF
- » Over 11% Growth in International Tourism Revenues During the Winter in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian National Bank Puts into Circulation a Silver Commemorative Coin "The Old Elm in Sliven"
- » Bulgaria Expects up to 10% more Tourists in the Summer
- » Staro Stefanovo - a Bulgarian Renaissance Fairy Tale near Lovech
- » Airlines Fear Wave of Compensation Claims After EU Court Ruling