Bulgaria's Pironkova Upsets Lepchenko in Moscow
Bulgaria's top tennis playerTsvetana Pironkova defeated US No. 2 Varvara Lepchenko in the first round of the Kremlin Cup in Moscow on Tuesday.
Slow-starting Lepchenko was swept off the court in the first set, but went a break up in the second before Pironkova reeled her in and won the match on the tiebreak for a 6-0, 7-6(3) win, RIA Novosti informs.
Pironkova, ranked 23 places below Lepchenko at No. 44, faces either reigning champion Dominika Cibulkova or Russia's Ekaterina Makarova in the second round.
- » Bulgaria to Face Norway in Decisive EURO 2016 Qualifier
- » Bulgaria's Veselin Topalov Retains Leadership Position in Grand Chess Tour
- » Kukushkin Downs Bulgaria's Dimitrov at US Open
- » Greek PAOK Signs Bulgarian Striker Dimitar Berbatov
- » Bulgaria's Dimitrov Defeats Australia's Ebden to Progress to 2nd Round of US Open
- » Bulgarian Mountain Runner Sets New Record on Completing Kom-Emine Hike