Djokovic Beats Murray, Wins Shanghai Final
Novak Djokovic saved five match points before beating defending Shanghai Masters champion Andy Murray in a three-set final of breathtaking intensity Sunday.
In their first meeting since Murray's win in the US Open final, Djokovic triumphed 5-7 7-6 (13-11) 6-3.
Murray edged the first set, which had seven breaks of serve, with Djokovic reacting angrily by smashing a racket.
Djokovic saved five match points in the second set before taking the tie-break and breaking Murray twice in the third.
After his 5-7 7-6 6-3 triumph, Djokovic told the official ATP Tour website that it could have gone either way.
"When I faced those match points, I tried to focus on each individually. He was so close to the victory that I cannot say I was the better player."
Murray was left to reflect on defeat in a match he had in his grasp.
"It was a disappointing one to lose," he said
"I've lost tougher matches than that before in the biggest events. So I'm sure I'll recover from it pretty well. "
The 25-year-old Djokovic, who was also beaten by Murray in the semifinals of the Olympic tennis tournament, came into the final in hot form after claiming the China Open in Beijing.
- » Dimitar Berbatov is Preparing to Become BFU Chief or Minister
- » Wayne Rooney Pleaded Guilty, Remains 2 Years Without a Driving License
- » Victoria Tomova is Bulgaria's New Best in Tennis for Women
- » Barcelona President: Messi Already Signed a New Contract
- » Bulgaria has Climbed 14 Places and is Among the Top 40 in the FIFA Rankings
- » Ludogorets took a Point in Turkey from Istanbul Basaksehir